West Chester, PA Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents are among the most devastating types of traffic collisions. While vehicle occupants can suffer injuries in car crashes, they are at least partially protected by their vehicle’s frame. Pedestrians, on the other hand, have absolutely no protection from the sheer weight and power of a car. They are at grave risk of severe or fatal injuries in every single crash.
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident in West Chester, you aren’t alone. The team at Kingbird Legal help victims like you pursue the full and fair compensation they deserve after a collision. Call us at 484-289-4880 to set up a consultation right away.
Pedestrian Accidents in Pennsylvania
If you look at the data on pedestrian collisions in Pennsylvania, it appears promising—although it is starting to trend in the wrong direction again. In the last five years, pedestrian accidents peaked in 2018 with 4,129 accidents. In this same year, fatalities hit a five-year high with 201 deaths. Both numbers hit their five-year low in 2020 when there were just 2,831 accidents and 146 fatalities.
Unfortunately, since then, the numbers have started to move upward steadily each year. 2022 saw 184 deaths and over 3,200 accidents. Although pedestrian accidents only make up 2.8% of all crashes, they account for 15.6% of all deaths. Most accidents and deaths occurred when someone was entering a crossing. The age groups at greatest risk of fatal injuries are adults aged 60 to 64 and those older than 75.
What Causes Pedestrian Accidents in West Chester, PA?
A wide range of driver and pedestrian mistakes lead to preventable collisions. As a pedestrian, knowing these causes can help you avoid risky situations and protect yourself from reckless drivers. Some of the most common causes of accidents include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is one of the greatest dangers to pedestrians, drivers, and others on the road today. Distracted drivers often completely miss that a pedestrian has entered their pathway, and when they do notice, it is too late to stop.
- Failing to yield right of way: This is a common driver error. Pedestrians almost always have the right of way in most situations, but drivers often try to force their way through anyway. When this happens, the pedestrian pays the price.
- Speeding: Speeding is a major issue on today’s roads. It’s unfortunately widely accepted, so almost all drivers feel comfortable going above the speed limit. This puts West Chester, PA pedestrians in harm’s way when a driver is unable to stop in time.
- Ignoring traffic signs and signals: Whether a driver or pedestrian ignores a traffic signal, accidents often follow. In particular, drivers turning right on red may completely ignore the fact that pedestrians crossing have a walk signal—and therefore, the right of way.
- Pedestrian crossing between cars: Pedestrians crossing at intersections are much more visible to drivers than those crossing in the middle of the road. It’s especially risky when a pedestrian enters the roadway from between two parked vehicles. In this situation, it is nearly impossible for a driver to see them in time.
- Impaired driving or walking: Impaired driving and walking are incredibly dangerous. Drunk drivers are unable to drive safely and protect pedestrians, while impaired pedestrians are often unaware of the dangers around them. This may cause them to take unnecessary risks and cause a collision.
Injuries in West Chester, PA Pedestrian Collisions
Pedestrians in West Chester suffer a wide range of injuries in accidents. These tend to be more severe than injuries reported in accidents where everyone is in a vehicle. Injuries that are often reported include:
- Broken bones: Broken bones are very common after pedestrian accidents. If they are hit at full speed or are thrown onto the road by the vehicle, they may even suffer multiple complex fractures.
- Head injuries: Head injuries can leave victims with permanent damage and limitations. While most traumatic brain injury victims are lucky enough to make a full recovery, those who suffer moderate or severe TBIs may need assistance for the rest of their lives.
- Spinal cord injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can cause physical mobility issues or even paralysis. These types of injuries can also leave victims with chronic pain issues.
- Soft tissue damage: Damage to the muscles, ligaments, and tendons is linked to mobility issues and pain. Common injuries include sprains, strains, contusions, and even tears.
- Internal injuries: Internal injuries are not always visible right away, which makes them particularly dangerous. Damage to the organs or internal bleeding can quickly become fatal if not treated immediately, highlighting the need for immediate medical care after a crash.
Compensation Available to Victims
Pedestrian accident victims may be entitled to a significant amount of compensation, depending on the severity of their injuries. They may receive compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Disability and disfigurement
How Our West Chester, PA Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Can Help You
Getting the compensation you deserve after an accident may seem like an uphill battle—that’s why we’re here. We know how hard insurance companies fight to avoid fair payouts after an accident, and we want to help victims get justice after an accident.
Pedestrian accidents are unique because of the high likelihood of serious harm. While any type of accident can lead to severe or fatal injuries, pedestrian accidents are far more likely to lead to these types of injuries. Unfortunately, victims may still be given the runaround by insurance companies. Ultimately, many give up and struggle to pay their medical bills and get back to work while still recovering.
Our experience in personal injury law allows us to hold negligent drivers accountable. We’ll gather the evidence needed to build a strong claim, advocate for you during negotiations, or take your case to court if necessary.
Call Kingbird Legal Today—Fight for the Compensation You Deserve
You can trust the team at Kingbird Legal to advocate for you every step of the way during your personal injury claim. Take the first step in your claim now by calling us at 484-289-4880 or sending us a message online.
Kingbird Legal specializes in representing personal injury victims in car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, catastrophic injury cases, wrongful death, premises liability (“slip and fall”) accidents, medical malpractice and defective product cases.