West Chester, PA Personal Injury
Accidents have a tendency to happen at the worst and most unexpected times. A serious injury can leave you unable to care for yourself and your loved ones—and that’s before you consider the financial distress an accident can cause. If someone else’s negligence caused your injuries, you have options. With the help of a personal injury lawyer in West Chester, you can fight for compensation for your losses.
What Cases Do We Accept?
At Kingbird Legal, we have extensive experience in many different types of personal injury claims. We’ve seen how the careless actions of an individual or group can devastate victims, forcing them to pick up the pieces. Some of the cases we handle include:
- Car accidents: West Chester car accidents cause broken bones, traumatic brain injuries, internal injuries, and other types of injuries. In addition to compensation for your injuries, you may be entitled to money for your totaled or damaged vehicle.
- Slip-and-fall injuries: Slip-and-fall injuries can cause significant bodily harm, especially for aging individuals. Our team will help you prove the negligence of the homeowner or property owner so you can fight for what you deserve. These claims also cover injuries caused by ice, snow, damaged stairwells, potholes, and other hazards on other people’s property.
- Product liability: A defective product is capable of causing serious injuries, major financial losses, and even death. Whether the product was poorly designed, manufactured, or marketed, we’re determined to find the liable party.
- Medical malpractice: Negligent medical care providers cause avoidable injuries and deaths every single day. Does your case rise to the level of malpractice? We’ll look at the details of your case and help you understand your options.
- Wrongful death: When someone dies because of another’s negligence, the family is left figuring out how to move on and grieve. While nothing can bring back a lost loved one, compensation can help family members cover final expenses and adjust to life without their loved one.
The Role of Liability and Negligence
Liability and negligence play a significant role in personal injury claims. Liability refers to who is responsible for the injuries you’ve suffered and the costs associated with them. Even if an individual is liable for your injuries, it’s likely that compensation will actually come from an insurance company.
For example, if a careless driver causes a crash, their insurance company would be the entity offering compensation—not the driver. Homeowners’ insurance and general liability insurance are other common sources of settlements, and doctors are required to carry malpractice insurance.
Before you can pursue compensation, it’s important to establish negligence on the part of another party. Negligence occurs when a party fails to exercise reasonable caution, resulting in harm to another person. To prove negligence, you have to show that the other party owed a duty of care, breached their duty, caused your injuries, and left you with measurable damages.
Pursuing Compensation After an Injury
Perhaps you’ve gotten checked out at Chester County Hospital or Riddle Memorial Hospital, only to realize that you’re more injured than you thought. What you thought you could walk off after a night of sleep may actually require medical care, time away from work, and a long recovery period. You’re thinking about pursuing compensation, but you’re not sure if you have a case.
When you meet with a personal injury lawyer in West Chester, PA, they’ll take an in-depth look at your case, ask questions, and determine whether or not you have a strong claim. If you do, you may be able to receive compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Future medical expenses and lost earning opportunities if your injury is catastrophic
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
A number of factors influence how much compensation you’re likely to receive. These factors include the overall strength of your case, insurance policy limits, the insurance company’s willingness to negotiate, how risky a trial would be, and the severity of your injuries.
Personal Injury Laws in Pennsylvania
Each state has its own laws regarding personal injury claims, and it’s important to familiarize yourself with local laws to avoid unnecessary issues. Waiting too long to file a claim, for example, could mean that you accidentally give up your right to seek compensation.
In the majority of situations, you have two years from the date of injury to seek compensation in Pennsylvania. There are some circumstances that pause the clock. If the victim is a minor, their two-year window does not start until they turn 18. If the at-fault party flees Pennsylvania or intentionally hides themselves to avoid liability, the time they spend hiding from the victim will likely not count toward their two-year window.
Claims against the government are handled differently than claims against private entities. The timeline is much shorter and you have to follow a separate process. In these situations, it’s crucial to contact an attorney immediately.
How the Team at Kingbird Legal Can Help
When you decide to stand up for yourself and demand the full and fair compensation you deserve, your choice of attorney matters. Picking an attorney with proven trial experience and a track record of high settlements gives you a shot at a settlement or jury award. Insurance companies make a lot of money by denying victims compensation, and they aren’t going to treat you fairly unless they are forced to do so.
That’s where we step in. By building a strong case that utilizes all of the evidence we’ve gathered, we’ll put the insurance company in a tough position—negotiate fairly or risk a lawsuit. Whether your case settles or goes to court, know that we will advocate for you every step of the way. We’re committed to pursuing the compensation you need to get back to normal after an injury.
Contact Us Today
The team at Kingbird Legal is ready to talk to you about your West Chester personal injury claim. Let’s set up a time to talk about your options and next steps. Schedule your consultation now by calling us at 484-289-4880 or messaging us online.
Kingbird Legal specializes in representing personal injury victims in car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, catastrophic injury cases, wrongful death, premises liability (“slip and fall”) accidents, medical malpractice and defective product cases.