Pottstown, PA Car Accident Lawyers
Car accidents are always just one mistake away—whether it’s yours or someone else’s. If your accident is the result of someone else’s poor judgment, you may be entitled to compensation. Collisions often leave victims with medical bills, unpaid time off of work, and other unexpected expenses. You shouldn’t be left paying these expenses on your own when someone else is responsible for your injuries.
Keep reading to learn more about Pottstown car accidents, your legal options, and how to protect yourself after a collision. To discuss your case in greater detail, call Kingbird Legal at 484-289-4880 to set up a time to meet with our team.
What You Should Know About Pennsylvania Car Accidents
Car accidents are surprisingly common in Pennsylvania, per the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. Crashes were at a high in 2018, when there were over 128,000 collisions. This mirrors other types of vehicle collisions in Pennsylvania. Crashes decreased through 2020 but increased substantially in 2021 and 2022. In 2022, there were nearly 116,000 collisions. These crashes resulted in 1,179 deaths and over 67,000 injuries.
How much do car accidents cost? When you combine the costs associated with fatal injuries, serious injuries, minor injuries, and property damage, collisions cause $29 billion in losses in Pennsylvania each year.
Collisions can happen to anyone, but some demographic groups are at greater risk than others. Across the board, male drivers are significantly more likely to be involved in a crash than female drivers. The age groups at greatest risk among both male and female drivers are drivers aged 21 to 25.
Common Causes of Car Collisions
Drivers who know what causes car accidents are in a better position to protect themselves and focus on driving safely. If you’ve been hurt in a crash, understanding what causes car accidents may help you figure out who’s liable for your injuries. Car accidents in Pennsylvania are often caused by:
- Speeding: Speeding impairs your driving in numerous ways. Speeding means that you need more time to stop, are unable to respond to obstacles in the road in time, and may lose control of your vehicle.
- Distracted driving: Distracted drivers are essentially trusting that there will be no changes in traffic and no obstacles in the road when they look away. The increase in smartphone usage has had a devastating effect on car accident numbers in the United States.
- Impaired driving: Drivers impaired by drugs or alcohol suffer longer reaction times, weakened decision-making skills, and poor motor skills. All of these contribute to thousands of crashes each year.
- Inexperience: New drivers hit the road every single year. Drivers’ ed simply does not prepare you for every possible issue you’ll face on the road, and some accidents are caused by inexperienced drivers who panic when faced with an obstacle.
Steps to Take After an Accident
Taking the right steps after an accident can help you get prompt treatment and protect your right to seek compensation. We recommend:
- Checking for severe injuries. Check yourself and other occupants of your vehicle for injuries that require urgent medical care. When you report the accident, you want to report these injuries so they can send emergency medical personnel to help.
- Reporting the accident. The Pottstown Police Department will respond to the scene of the crash. You can call the non-emergency line if it’s not a serious crash or call 911 if it’s a severe crash. Either way, make sure you give your side of the story to the police. The police report will be a useful piece of evidence later on.
- Exchanging contact information. Swap contact and insurance information with the other driver. You may need to do so through the police officer if the other driver is angry or aggressive with you.
- Gathering evidence. Don’t leave the scene without taking photos and video footage of the crash scene—unless you need emergency medical care, of course. Ensure that your photos and videos include both vehicles, the vehicles’ license plates, and landmarks that show where the crash was. Capture every part of the vehicles that were damaged in the collision.
- Going to a hospital or urgent care facility. Pottstown is home to many facilities that can provide you with urgent or emergency care, including Tower Health Urgent Care, Patient First Urgent Care, and Pottstown Hospital. Get checked out as soon as possible to document your injuries.
- Talking to a car accident lawyer in Pottstown. Your next call should be to a car accident attorney in Pottstown. We can investigate your crash, learn more about what happened, assess your damages, and help you fight for the full and fair compensation you deserve.
How Kingbird Legal Can Help You Fight for Compensation
You may be wondering if you need a car accident lawyer at this point in your case, especially if the other party’s insurance provider already called to discuss the accident and offer a settlement. However, you need to discuss your case with an attorney before making any decisions. Insurance companies aren’t looking out for your best interests; they are looking out for their own. They know that their client’s error could put them in the middle of a lawsuit, and their goal is to get you to waive your right to sue in exchange for as little money as possible.
On the other hand, working with an attorney gives you a fair shot at getting the compensation you rightfully deserve. We build the strongest case we can, utilizing various forms of evidence to hold the insurance company accountable. We’ll do a fair assessment of your financial losses and help you understand what is and isn’t a fair settlement offer. If negotiations are unsuccessful, we are more than prepared to take your case to court and fight for what you are owed there.
Start Your Case Today—Call Our Team of Pottstown Car Accident Lawyers
Ready to pursue justice after a car accident in Pottstown? Let’s sit down, discuss your case, and come up with a plan. Set up your free consultation immediately by calling us at 484-289-4880 or sending us a quick message online.
Kingbird Legal specializes in representing personal injury victims in car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, catastrophic injury cases, wrongful death, premises liability (“slip and fall”) accidents, medical malpractice and defective product cases.